South-2-The-Pole

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tues 12 Dec '06 – Dublin - Home Sweet Home

Joyce flew out to meet me in London & after the initial flurry of kisses & hugs we have to make an absolute dash with my bags to catch the last Aer Lingus flight to Dublin. Joyce has fore warned the desk of our situation & there would be two runners coming through. With a little co-operation from the Aer Lingus check-in desk & the security staff we manage to make the gate with no time to spare, only to be then left sitting for 30 mins on the apron waiting to taxi for take off. But later as we fly over the bright lights of London, Dublin bound & knocking back the champagne, do we care? We think not.
Shortly we’re taking my 2 kit bags & skis off the belt at Dublin & within another hour we’re home chatting with Ian & Sam, whom for me it is an absolute pleasure to see once again.
Thank you, dear God, or someone else’s God perhaps, for a wonderful adventure & for sparing me & allowing me the opportunity to return to Antarctica in Dec 07 for the unfinished business of the sled haul to the Pole. I’ll be ready for it & the vast experiences gained in every respect on this trip, will undoubtedly stand to me & make me a stronger person in many ways, as I head off ‘in the footsteps of Scott’.

‘Thank you’, also to …..

Ian, Fredrik, Richard, Jon
Dave, Mike, Eric, Wally, Tucker, Ben, Steve, Doc. John, Martin, Olaf, Roger, Guy, Paul, and everyone else who was there for us, prayed for us & assisted us in any way. Thank You. What more can I say.