South-2-The-Pole

Thursday, December 21, 2006

South 2 The Pole - November to December 2006

Welcome to the journal record of my Dec '06 Antarctic Adventure in which I live out one of my many big dreams. In particular I’ve dreamt about climbing Mt Vinson for years but could never ‘justify’ it. Then after my first visit to the Antarctic Penninsula in Feb 04, I decided it was time to live this dream.

This journal is quite lengthy & if you’re reading it but really just want to get to the dramatic section, just scroll down to Sat 2 Dec.

In Oct 05 I heard the ‘ploop’ sound of the plastic wrapper of a heavy magazine or brochure landing on the floor as Postman Pat went on his way. In the wrapper was the Jagged-Globe brochure for the '06-'07 seasons – a temptation worse than anything the Devil himself could conjure up. Immediately I’m off for a quick scan & within days the brochure has post-it stickers on the Antarctic section & is left lying around on the kitchen table, just in case Joyce might like to read it!

For the '06 season Jagged were not only offering Vinson but also an opportunity to ski / sled haul the Last Degree to the South Pole itself in the footsteps of Scott. Well now, if you’re going to go on one trip, you might as well throw in the second one! With planning permission received from the ‘home office’ it was time to start making this dream a reality & I booked my place in late Nov '05 & so the adventure began.

But it is not finished yet & there is unfinished business to be completed & I shall be returning to Antarctica once again in Dec 07.